Good morning friends! I hope you’re having a great week so far!
Before we get started, I am so excited to share with y’all that I’m not just sharing my Wednesday in the Word today, but I am also guest posting over at Oh, Simple Thoughts! Rachel is fabulous so you MUST click on over & visit her & my post: The Art of a Charming Southern Thank You Note!
Now, for some Wednesday in the Word!
As part of my May goals, I added scripture memory. This has been one of those ongoing goals since I started my Christian walk, but just recently God laid it on my heart to truly understand why it’s important.
As a kid, we learn verses in Sunday School, Awana, or Vacation Bible School, but sometimes we miss why we are memorizing it! Let’s take a look at a few scriptures on why scripture memory goes beyond just remembering the verse for the week.
- Memorizing God’s Word will keep me from sinning against him. Psalm 119:12 reads:
“I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.“
- God’s word is living & active. It is applicable to every aspect of my life…despite the fact that it was written hundreds of years ago. 2 Hebrews 4:12:
- As a Christian we are being transformed to be more like Christ, therefore we should apply his word to our lives & know it in our hearts. 2 Corinthians 3:18:
- The Word of God is our defense in battle. Battle against worldly desires, stress, unfaithfulness, negativity, & every other sinful thing. Ephesians 6:17:
“For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.”
“And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another. For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit.”
“And take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.”
- Jesus did it. Matthew tells us the story of Jesus being tempted in the wilderness by the devil. He recalled scripture he had memorized that sent the devil fleeing. Matthew 4:4:
“But he answered, ‘It is written, Man shall not live by bread along, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.”
I hope these versus give you some insight into why it’s critical that as Christians, we know the word of God. And I mean know it. We can quote our favorite movies & sing our favorite songs, but can we recite the Truth of God just as freely? It’s convicting to me too, friends. This is not something I have mastered, but something that God has showed me I need in my walk with him. As Christians we say we believe certain things…but why? We say because the Bible tells us, but where?
This week I encourage you to not only know what you believe, but why you believe it. And then write it on your heart!Our God is relational so it’s important to understand why he’s telling you to do something.
Thanks so much for sharing with me today & I hope you were encouraged! I would love to know what scripture you’re memorizing & what God is teaching you! Comment or message me so I can be encouraged by you!
“How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth!” Psalm 119:103
Frankly my dear…let us write IT on our hearts!
Now, go check out my sweet new friend & sponsor, Alysse!